» Category "Prevention"
- 36.7% of adults are overweight, and 29.3% of adults are obese.
- 14.4% of adolescents are overweight, and 9% of adolescents are obese.
- Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death worldwide with 480,000 people dying every year from a tobacco related illness in the United States. (CDC)
- In South Dakota the adult smoking rate is 18.1%; 44.5% of American Indians in South Dakota smoke. (BRFSS, 2016)
- Secondhand smoke (SHS) causes lung cancer in people who have never smoked. The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases the chance of lung cancer by 20-30%. (CDC)